J.D., The University of Texas, School of Law, 2007
Community and Bar Association Activities
Maritza S. Nelson,
- Serve as Outside General Counsel for Juvenile Justice Coalition.
- Represented an army officer charged with attempted suicide while serving in Iraq. Helped client withdraw coerced resignation in lieu of court-martial. Maintained contacts with the media, ensuring favorable publicity. After the military equivalent of a pre-trial hearing, the case was dismissed. The client was honorably discharged and able to keep all benefits.
- As a student attorney with the Criminal Defense Clinic at The University of Texas School of Law, obtained two not guilty verdicts in bench and jury trials for clients charged with theft and public intoxication.
Before deciding to venture out on my own, I spent seven years at two of the largest law firms in the country as an associate attorney in their respective litigation groups. During that time, some of my cases included:
- representing a global supplier of custom-engineered equipment in a trade secrets case where two former employees took the secrets and went to work for a competitor;
- multiple trademark infringement cases for a product certification company whose product certifications were being copied and used without permission;
- a Fair Housing Act suit accusing a property management company of having a pattern or practice of discrimination because of the actions of one rogue (former) employee;
- representing a real estate company and several of its realtors in litigation with a disgruntled customer;
- suing to recover preferential and fraudulent transfers in multiple Ponzi scheme cases, including the infamous Madoff case.